Thursday, September 9, 2010



Hey ya'll! I am pleased to bring to you today, our very first Author of the Week! Enjoy!



A very warm welcome to our Author of the Week, ICMezzo!


1 - How did you get into writing?

I’m an editor in real life, so I spend a good deal of time writing and editing each day. Unfortunately, the topics I cover aren't always very exciting. So I decided to start writing fanfic as a creative outlet this past winter, a month or two after I started reading it.

2 - What turned you on to slash?

I started with canon first, so I read a lot of E/B stories, and then quickly added Jella stories into the mix. It was sometime around then that I stumbled onto Manyafandom’s amazing and varied stories. I think her story “The Arrangement” first got me thinking outside the box. At some point a light bulb went on in my head; if Edward or Jasper is good, Edward and Jasper is better.
Luckily, Manyafandom had the fantastic story “All I ever knew” posted right there by “The Arrangement” so my transition into the m/m pairings was quick and easy.

Also, I’d had an unfortunate crush on Carlisle from the moment he first crossed my path but I really had no interest in reading Carlisle/Esme. So with the introduction of slash into my world the possibilities suddenly seemed endless. ;)

3 - What updates are you sure not to miss?

Well, of course there are so many that I read and I could never name them all here, but here is a small sampling of the slash WIPs that I read regularly as they update:

Dear Agony, by Twiboy
If on a Winter’s Night, by Touchstone67
I Wept Not, by ArcadianMaggie
Marked, by Whitlock-Masen
Raw and Rosey, by TuesdayMidnight
Sketchbook Revelations, by PolkaDotMama
Your Biggest Fan, by OfTheDamned

I think I love the first three because of the sheer volume of exquisitely written angst. (I never ever cry, and I Wept Not brought a tear to my eye.) Perhaps surprisingly, I love, love, love to read angst even though I don’t write it.

I love Marked because I like my men to be men. :) Also, it is set right here in Boston and... let’s just put it out there... if you’re going to have your characters watch Red Sox games, your story is automatically a win. That’s just sound judgment.

Let’s see. What else? Raw and Rosey is just fun and is a nice beak from all the angst. I love Sketchbook Revelations for its artistic flavor and Your Biggest Fan is my newest pickup. I just started reading it recently and I have a slight crush on several of the author’s works.

4 - What is your favorite story, both popular and not popular?

My favorite story? How is that possible? If I did have one, it would probably change daily. But I really just don’t!

Okay...so... how about this: My favorites are actually mostly all one-shots. I guess I’m just a one-shot kinda girl. (Don’t judge!) Many one-shots don’t get huge review numbers, so you could call them unpopular, though I think perhaps I’d use the term under-appreciated. (Oh, and um...when you see the list, you’ll probably recognize that a few have been expanded into amazing multi-chapter stories. But in this case, I’m actually referring to the original single-shot that started it all.)

So, here we go, my favorite one-shots:

Alpha Xi Omega, by Whitlock-Masen
Copperhead, by OftheDamned
Marked: The One-shot, by Whitlock-Masen
Of Love and Silence, by RobsLostSoul
Rough Seas, by MySlashyFriend
The Spice of Life, by Bookbag

5 - When you write your boys, do you see the actors that play them, or someone different?

Generally I see my characters as they were portrayed in the first Twilight movie, especially if I’m writing vampires, with one general exception--every Jasper I write has much better hair than poor Jasper has had in any Twilight movie so far.

Seriously, Summit, give poor Jackson a reasonable wig in BD... and maybe a few more lines while you’re at it, m’kay?

6 - If you could spend the day inside your favorite author's head, who would it be and why?

Well, I don’t have a single favorite author, and I’m not sure I would want to spend a day inside anyone else’s head. The thought kinda freaks me out! Plus, if I were in someone’s head, I’d find out the endings to their fics and I want to be surprised! But I would like to spend a day with several authors. Does that count? Choosing one in particular would be exceedingly difficult. (I don’t really know anyone in the fandom super well yet.) But if I had to choose I’d have to go with ArcadianMaggie. She kinda “found” me as an author early on, so I think in some way I’ll always be a little in awe of her. Plus she seems just so nice... in addition to cool, smart, and funny. You can’t beat that, can you? Also, I get the feeling she is a terribly busy person, but she is always willing to stop and answer a question or give me advice. Every time I learn something about her I end up thinking she is even more awesome than I previously thought. So yeah. I’d love hang out with her for a day and get to know her better.

7 - Regardless of storyline, who writes the best humps that leave you wet and begging for more?

*blushes* Ummm....errrr.... ehhhh... hmmm.... I don’t know?

Okay, call me a girl or whatever, but I don’t think I can separate the sex from the plotlines. When I think of my favorite lemons, they are all different acts by all different authors. And I imagine it is because the lemons were so perfect within their context.

Now, I’m assuming that you ask the question because you want some recommendations, right? Well, I don’t want to leave you high and dry (as opposed to wet or hard?), so I’ll just say that as lemons go, in my humble opinion it would be hard to go wrong reading anything by SubtlePen, Naelany and SorceressCirce (Whitlock-Masen), Touchstone67, Domward’s Mistress, or PolkaDotMama.

8 - Do you post on any other fandoms?

I do not. I don’t read stories from other fandoms either, mostly due to a lack of time. If I was going to try one out, I might read Harry Potter fanfic, because of all of the wonderful things I hear about HP stories. If I was going to write something, I might try Lord of the Rings. Does that fandom even exist? It must, right?

*pauses to wipe drool off keyboard after contemplating Aragorn and Legolas in various slashy combinations*

9 - Do you listen to music when you write, and if so, does it influence what you write?

I do listen to music, but what I am writing influences what I listen to, instead of the other way around.

If I’m trying to concentrate on an important dramatic scene, I actually listen to classical music. I often use classical for lemon-writing as well. I often wonder if that is really weird. Am I the only one who uses Handel for handjobs and Brahms when writing a beej? But then again, I had one boyfriend who thought the best possible music for sex was Ravel’s Bolero. TMI? (For the record, I disagree. Also, this might seem less random if you knew we were both classical music students in college at the time so we lived and breathed this stuff.)

ANYWAY, the rest of the time I write to alt rock. It particularly helps me get in the right place to write comedy.

10 - Would you ever write something out of your comfort zone? Why or why not?

Yes, definitely. My comfort zone is “Said an Done” and “Worth the Climb”-style stories (i.e., light, fluffy, comedic slash). But lately been trying to write other genres and pairings that I’m very much not comfortable with, mostly because I want to try to grow as a writer. I often use contests as an excuse to push myself to try new styles and ideas. I’m sure these attempts have had mixed results, which is okay. I’m learning. :)

That said, don’t worry; I promise to keep the funny headed your way. But if you see that I’ve randomly posted a tragic-sounding one-shot or a B/E story, you’ll know why. ;)



Thank you so much, ICMezzo, for giving us a peek into your brilliant mind!! We will definitely be looking for more from you!

Till next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment